KNEE BRACE USAGE RECOMMENDATIONS
When starting to use the brace, it is recommended to gradually build up to full time use.
Wear the brace for 2 hours a day for the first week. Then increase the use of the brace up to 4 hours for the second week. Finally, wear the brace as needed in the following weeks.
- Skin irritation issues may occur for some users. If you have sensitive skin, it is recommended to use the Unloader as tolerated.
– If redness appears, usage should be decreased.
– If problems persist, discontinue brace use and consult with Horizon Prosthetics about pursuing another option.
- If no skin issues arise you can use the brace as needed.
CLEANING AND MAINTAINING YOUR KNEE BRACE
- We recommend cleaning your brace liners regularly to reduce bacteria and increase the useful lifetime of your brace. Feel free to contact our office if you need to purchase additional straps and liners for your knee brace.
– We recommend wiping the liners with a mild disinfectant solution after using the brace during high physical activity. Allow the brace to completely dry before applying it to the skin as some disinfectant solution may cause irritation.
– You may also remove the liners, straps and strap pads and hand wash them with a mild dish soap. Make sure to rinse thoroughly and let air dry.
- DO NOT MACHINE WASH AND/OR PLACE IN DRYER
– If the brace is used in saltwater or chlorinated water, rinse well with fresh tap water and air-dry brace.
– Please contact our office if you would like your brace inspected to “ensure the hinges, liners, straps, and pads are in optimal working condition.
- Keeping your knee brace straps and liners clean will help maintain a healthy skin condition along with regular bathing.
- Use a mild liquid soap when bathing. If you have skin irritations or a sensitive skin, use products that are fragrance free and relatively pH neutral, pH 5,5 to pH 7.
- Moisturizers nourish and soften the skin. Use moisturizers that are fragrance free and pH balanced. Let the moisturizer sink into your skin fully before putting on the brace. A good way of allowing for this is to apply the moisturizer in the evening before going to bed.
– Do NOT apply lotion to the leg directly before using the knee brace.
– Many common household or bath products, including soaps, perfumes or lotions may cause or contribute to skin irritation.
USAGE OF UNDERSLEEVES
- If skin issues persist, even with moderate usage of brace and proper cleaning of liners and straps, it is possible to try an undersleeve to prevent direct contact between skin and the brace. Please contact our office if you would like to purchase one.